Thursday, February 26, 2009

I got soul, but I'm not a soldier

(title from The Killers - All These Things That I've Done - Hot Fuss)

After seeing the commercial for the new album a few times on TV, and really supremely hating the five seconds I heard of "Spaceman" and that stupid costume from the video, I decided I really did want the Killers' new album, Day & Age. 

I snagged it from iTunes this afternoon, and lo and behold, we have reached the age of digital liner notes! No longer shall we be forced to sift through thousands of jewel cases, struggling to remove tattered booklets from their jagged edges and insert them into new, equally as fragile plastic shelf-hogging vessels!

It also came with a bonus video, which I've not yet viewed.

Bonus points for the album artwork, digital liner notes, and bonus video for my $11.99 and instant, gasoline-free gratification.

But I'm having a hard time with this album right now. 

I think my problem is getting over the sound of "Hot Fuss." I don't have "Sam's Town" because I was not the world's biggest fan of the first single released from it (see, I don't even know the name, nor do I care). 

"Day & Age" (holy wow, as I typed that, Brandon Flowers sang it) is... well... I'm not married to it. That's not to say I won't be in a couple of days, it's been known to happen, but I think it's really lacking that catch that was so prevalent in "Hot Fuss." 

Let's face it- you really cannot find a much cooler song than "All These Things That I've Done." From the moment I first heard it during Rodney Mullen's part in the Almost skate demo video in 2004, I was hooked on that song. Everything about it speaks to me- the lyrics, the harmony, the chorus, bringing in a freakin' choir, for crying out loud! Awesome. It gets me right there.

Of course, I'll have to give it a few more spins before I can really tell for sure, but I'm officially on the fence with this one right now...

1 comment:

  1. Man, you bought a Killers album. You had to know it was gonna suck.

    ReplyDelete