Wednesday, March 4, 2009

If I haven't heard it, it's new to me!

Some "new" stuff I've heard lately:

Jimmy Eat World - Chase This Light (2007, Interscope)
I've only given this a spin or two since purchasing the digital version last week, but I don't dislike it. There are a couple of songs reminiscent of earlier Jimmy, but as with other artists, I've noticed a more modern, mature sound. I'm sure it'll take a little getting used to... but I miss the days when I knew right away if I dug an album...

stellastarr - stellastarr (2003, BMG)
This album is bound to make you want to dance. No joke. It's everything great about 80s music, updated for today. "My Coco" is probably my fave new song, it makes me think of electric pink sweatbands and a hundred movin' bodies in a dark club with neon lights and a hot sound system. Grr, baby.

The Airborne Toxic Event - The Airborne Toxic Event (2007, under license to Majordomo Records)
I never thought I would be into this kind of music- this triad of 80s/punk/emo- but holy moley, I think I like it! This band takes their name from a Don DeLillo novel, White Noise (of which, after reading it twice, I'm not a fan), and I think that will run through my mind every time I listen to the album, but they do have a very unique sound- classically nouveau, I think is the best way to put it. Give 'em a spin. You won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment