Friday, February 6, 2009

If I Fall Back Down...

(title from Rancid - If I Fall Back Down - Indestructible)

Hello readers!

Thank you again for all of your support in this venture. 

I'd like to let you know about a couple of free music utilities, since you've all been super helpful to me... and I thought there might be some of you guys who'd like to appreciate new tunes on a tight budget.

My A-number one favorite right now is probably Pandora. I learned about this from the guy in the next cube at Job Recently Departed. Web-based streamer (read: no program downloads) http://www.pandora.com is one of THE coolest Internet radio setups in the galaxy. The Music Genome Project has successfully collaborated a zillion tunes into a giant database for any of your favored genres. Feel like listening to Jack Johnson? Feed the artist name into Pandora's search window and it will pick a random tune in the artist's library. Wanna hear "Behind These Hazel Eyes" but forgot the artist name? Enter the title, Pandora will show you a list of artist options, and play the track you select. For the ensuing tracks, Pandora's intelligence will retrieve artists or songs of similar elemental qualities- "extensive vamping," "major key tonality," "hard-swingin' rhythm," etc. You can hand-pick artists or tracks to add to your playlist, or "add more songs like this." You can skip tracks, ask Pandora not to repeat the track for 30 days, or select a thumbs-up or -down to add or omit particular and similar tracks. No commercials, high-quality uncensored audio, and, my iTouch picks up my neighbors' wireless signal clear enough for me to attach it to the stereo in my room while I'm cooking. The exposure to "similar" artists is the best part, because I now enjoy music by artists I would previously not have given a second thought.

Next on my list: SimplifyMedia, a downloaded iTunes accompaniment, without which I would never have experienced the wonders of Girl Talk... expect more tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment